Skip to main content
I've recently done a couple of projects for clients involving "screen capture" software.
I thought it would be good to briefly discuss what this software is and what its benefits are.

Screen Capture software allows you to record any activities on your computer's (or laptop's) desktop and then in turn save that to a video file (Windows Media, Flash, or .AVI) which you can either stream out or burn to CD/DVD. In other words whatever you're doing on your computer, from running Quickbooks, or Office, to typing an email or browsing the Web--what you see is what gets recorded.

Screen Capture software is routinely used, in the past several years, to do software training--if you want to show someone how to use an application--again, let's just use QuickBooks for example, you can literally record every action that you take--how to open a new Quickbooks file or how to do save--how to enter receivables data,etc.

Screen Capture software is wonderful because when you're done you have a complete demo of whatever it is you want train some on. Screen Capture tools also give you the ability to record audio narration--either while your doing the demo, i.e., "live" or afterwards.

The most recent project I've doen involved taking a PowerPoint presentation and adding a narration track to it. I then saved the video as a Flash Video and put it on my client's website.

Voila! She now has a totally self-contained PowerPoint "movie" because after all a PowerPoint presentation is largey useless without the presenter to go along with it--and that's what these tools alllow you to do--package yourself along with your material.

Screen Capture software ranges in price from about $30.00--for Total Screen Recorder Gold--which I highly recommend--the video quality as well as the range of output options make it a terrific product for its price.

There is also Camtasia from Tech Smith--this product retails for about $500.00--the reason it is so much more expensive is that it also has numerous video editing capabilites--similar to NLE products like Final Cut Pro or Premiere--it actually lets you add graphics and transitions after you've recorded--you can also adjust or add to the audio track if you flubbed it during the live recording.

Anyway, more on this topic in the future but I just wanted to share what I think is a really powerful tool for those of you looking to either put some zing and life into your packaged presentations or who want to do demos from your desktop and preserve them for posterity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film: The Unspoken Contract

I recently went to see a 70mm screening of Spartacus --for two reasons--I’d never seen it shown in a theater--in any film format--and since it was also photographed in 70mm, I couldn’t pass up the chance. The version they showed was in fact a 1991 print--the Robert Harris restoration. At this point, I could tell you that seeing this movie projected filmically vs. digitally made all the difference, made it the best experience I could have had. I would be lying, though. The fact is that I would have had no problem seeing Spartacus in a digital venue--in fact, I only just missed a chance to see a Fathom Events presentation of it at a chain cinema, a month earlier. So seeing Spartacus on film as opposed to off of a hard drive and through a Sony 4K DLP system was more a matter of convenience than choice. I have no problem with digital projection. Mainly because, as most spectators, whether they grew up with film, as I did, or not, would probably agree, digital cinema is perfect--no

Initial Posting

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen--I am a HAL 9000 Computer....oops--only kidding! I'm Don Berry of Don Berry, LLC, a video and multimedia producer out of Hartford, CT. My goal is to offer a number of postings on the film and video industries, as well as related topics. Cheers

Blade Runners: The 1982 Version Revisited

I have seen Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner in a theater of some kind either on 70mm, 35mm, or digitally projected twenty times altogether over the past twenty-seven years, starting with its first release in 1982. This is NOT because I am a fanatic about the film, or any film really. In fact it is rare for me to see any movie that many times. I know part of the reason is, as for most viewers, Blade Runner’s uniqueness as a movie on almost every level. But also I feel that for me it is the fact that this film, perhaps like no other, has undergone revisions by its director that impact the picture’s tone and focus and yet leave its original creative core untouched.   While the phenomenon of a popular film, or in the case of Blade Runner also a cult film, finding an afterlife in theaters is not at all unusual, especially in the last twenty years or so when so many films from the recent and distant past have been “restored” and “preserved," what makes Blade Runner unique is t